Code of Practice for Using Plant Protection Products
This Code of Practice is for all professional users of plant protection products in England and Wales in respect of Part III of the Food and Environment Protection Act 1985 (FEPA) and the regulations controlling pesticides, particularly plant protection products (PPPs), under that part of the Act.
The Code's statutory basis means that it can be used in evidence if people are taken to Court for offences involving PPPs.
Guidance on the Plant Protection Products (Sustainable Use) Regulations 2012
Information about guidance affecting those using plant protection products is available on the Codes of Practice Home Page.
Availability of the code
Copies of the code of Practice can be downloaded using the links further down this page.
Erratum Page 56 - Amendment to Code of Practice for Using Plant Protection Products
Paragraph 3.7.4 amended:
The code of practice for using plant protection products was published by Defra in February 2006. Unfortunately, after publication, HSE discovered an error in paragraph 3.7.4 on public access and rights of way. The mistake was in the reference to the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000, specifically the possibility of temporary closure of rights of way during 'prescribed dangerous works' not yet being implemented.
Paragraph 3.7.4 has been amended in the PDF version below .
The Code of Practice download
Complete Code of Practice for Using Plant Protection Products
Code of Practice for Using Plant Protection Products (pdf, 168 pages)
- Contents and Official Status (pdf, 15 pages)
- Section 1: Introduction (pdf, 4 pages)
- Section 2: Training and certification (pdf, 8 pages)
- Section 3: Planning and preparation (pdf, 44 pages)
- Section 4: Working with pesticides (pdf, 23 pages)
- Section 5: Disposing of pesticide waste (pdf, 8 pages)
- Section 6: Keeping records (pdf, 8 pages)
- Annexes and End (pdf, 58 pages)
- Information Statement on application of pesticides using vehicles in public areas (185kb)
- The Yellow Code (pdf, 60 pages) (916kb)
- Local Council Hazardous Waste Disposal Services information on Gov.uk
- Crop Protection Association advice on Garden Chemical disposal