Applications before applying for pesticide product authorisation

Guidance on the types of pesticide applications that can be made before you apply for authorisation of a pesticide product:

Carry out research and development: trials permit

To carry out research and development work on an approved or unapproved active substance or plant protection product you must apply for a trials permit. Includes renewal of trials permits.

Trials permit application and renewal

HSE consideration of a study protocol

If you would like HSE to comment on a draft study protocol to confirm that the design and methodology is appropriate and will potentially address a specific data gap, you can apply to HSE.

More on HSE consideration of draft study protocols

Official recognition to conduct efficacy trials

If you wish to carry out efficacy testing and analysis on a pesticide product for yourself or on behalf of a third party, your testing facilities must be 'officially recognised'.

Apply for official recognition

Active substance source change: technical equivalence

In order to include a new active substance source in a pesticide product to be marketed in the UK, you will need to submit separate technical equivalence applications for Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

More on pesticide active substance source changes: technical equivalence

Meeting with HSE before you apply: pre-submission meeting

You can have a pre-submission meeting with HSE before you apply for active product authorisation or active substance approval.

We can answer your questions, consider any issues and establish a timetable for submission.

You can arrange a pre-submission meeting using form CRD10.

Find out more about pre-submission meetings.

Active substance applications

You must apply for the approval of an active substance before it can be used in a pesticide product.

More about active substance approval and how to apply.

Emergency authorisation

If you wish to use a non-authorised product because of a danger that cannot be contained by any other reasonable means, you may be able to apply for an emergency authorisation.

More about emergency authorisations

Is this page useful?

Updated 2024-03-20