Commodity Substance : Carbon Dioxide - Food Storage
Brexit: Transition period
The UK has now left the EU. Your health and safety responsibilities have not changed in the transition period.
Food and Environment Protection Act 1985
Control of Pesticides Regulations 1986
Date of issue: 9 February 2019
Date of expiry: 31 August 2020 (unless earlier decisions are made or further prescribed extensions)
Notice is hereby given that in exercise of the powers conferred by Regulation 5 of the Control of Pesticides Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1510) (as amended) and of all other powers enabling them in that behalf, the Health and Safety Executive ("HSE") for and on behalf of the Secretary of State, the Welsh Ministers and the Scottish Ministers and the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs in Northern Ireland, have given full approval for the use of the following Commodity substance:
- 99.9% v/v Carbon Dioxide.
This Approval is Subject to the Following Conditions
Relevant Impurity Requirements:
- benzene max. 0.02 ppm v/v
- carbon monoxide max. 10 ppm v/v
- methanol max. 10 ppm v/v
- hydrogen cyanide max. 0.5 ppm v/v
Field of use
Only as an insecticide, acaricide and rodenticide in food storage practice.
Raw and processed food commodities.
- Engineering control of operator exposure must be used where reasonably practicable in addition to the following personal protective equipment: Operators must wear self-contained breathing apparatus when CO2 levels are greater than 0.5% v/v.
- However, engineering controls may replace personal protective equipment if a Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) assessment shows they provide an equal or higher standard of protection.
Other Specific Restrictions
- Unprotected persons and non-target animals must be excluded from the treatment enclosures and from the area surrounding the treatment enclosures unless CO2 levels are below 0.5% v/v.
- This substance must only be used by operators who are suitably trained and competent to carry out this work.
Ensure adequate ventilation of premises during all treatment and venting operations.
- Pesticides A-Z
- Reporting Incidents
- Contacting CRD
- Regulatory Updates Index
- Information Updates Index
- Codes of Practice
- Pesticide/Plant Protection Product Databases
- Application forms
- Handling pesticide investigation and concerns