How often will elections take place?
You will probably need to hold elections when:
- elected representatives change jobs or stand down and can no longer represent the group of employees they were elected to;
- the business is restructured or when there are major changes so the groups or constituencies change; and/or
- there has not been an election for some time, so the choice of the current workforce needs to be reflected.
An elected representative will need some time to develop the skills and experience they will need to perform their role effectively before you consider holding another election. Considering these types of things will help you plan when you will need to hold elections so that you do not duplicate effort and still have representatives that your employees have chosen.
More about elections
- Consulting employees on health and safety: A brief guide to the law INDG232(rev1)
- Involving your workforce in health and safety: Good practice for workplaces HSG263