How many representatives?
There is no “right” number of elected health and safety representatives, as it will depend on your business. You need to think about:
- the total number of employees to be represented;
- the different groups or constituencies there are given the jobs done, locations, and work patterns, see Decide how to consult.
- the nature of the work activities performed, including the degree and character of health and safety risks your employees may face.
Larger employers may have several groups or constituencies each requiring a representative. Smaller employers may have fewer representatives or one for the whole workforce. If you are not sure how many representatives you should have, ask your employees what they think or request views from your working group.
More about elections
- Consulting employees on health and safety: A brief guide to the law INDG232(rev1)
- Involving your workforce in health and safety: Good practice for workplaces HSG263