This website uses non-intrusive cookies to improve your user experience. You can visit our cookie privacy page for more information.

Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.

Do you make chemicals (manufacturer)?

Brexit: Transition period

The UK has now left the EU. Your health and safety responsibilities have not changed in the transition period.

Find the latest information on our Brexit pages

A manufacturer is a person based in the European Union (EU) (or the European Economic Area (EEA)) that makes (produces) or extracts a substance.

If you are a manufacturer, you must classify, label and package substances and mixtures according to CLP before placing them on the market.

In addition, you need to notify the CLP classifications of your substances to the Classification and Labelling Inventory established at the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).

This means you should:

All those in the supply chain are responsible for ensuring that substances and mixtures are labelled and packaged correctly before being placed on the market.

Updated: 2013-07-25