Classification, labelling and packaging of chemicals (CLP) in GB or NI

Supplying chemicals to the Great Britain market

From 1 January 2021, the classification, labelling and packaging of chemicals placed on the market in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) is regulated by the ‘Retained CLP Regulation (EU) No. 1272/2008 as amended for Great Britain’, known as GB CLP.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is the GB CLP Agency and carries out certain CLP functions previously undertaken by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).

You have a legal duty to understand your obligations and duties under GB CLP if you’re:

If your business is based in Great Britain and is supplied by businesses based within the EU or European Economic Area (EEA) and you place those products on the GB market, you are defined as an importer of chemicals and must comply with the GB CLP Regulation.

Supplying chemicals to the Northern Ireland market

The classification of chemicals placed on the market in Northern Ireland is regulated by a European regulation known as EU CLP. HSE Northern Ireland (HSENI) has separate guidance on EU CLP.

Updated: 2022-02-11