HSE has a number of operational inspectors and visiting staff who deal with the industry by a range of methods including:
- On-site visits (announced and unannounced).
- Investigation of accidents and complaints.
- Providing guidance and support at visits, by phone or at agricultural events.
- Safety and health awareness days (SHADs).
- Enforcement where necessary.
Agriculture, Waste & Recycling Sector
The Agriculture, Waste and Recycling Sector also takes an active role in dealing with the industry and other key stakeholders including:
- Working with key industry stakeholders to improve health and safety
- Providing support, advice and guidance at a national level to HSE's operational inspectors.
- Developing strategies and projects for agriculture to contribute to meeting the HSE Strategy
- Monitoring the health and safety performance of the industry.
- Working with national and European bodies in the development of standards (CEN. BSI, etc.).
- Producing guidance to the industry.
The Agricultural Sector is made up of three sections:
- Agriculture Safety, Arboriculture and Forestry;
- Agriculture Health, Education and Employment; and
- Agriculture Policy, Communications and Strategy Section.
Introducing the Arboriculture and Forestry Advisory Group (AFAG)
AFAG is an advisory group of the Health and Safety Executives (HSE's) Agriculture Industry Advisory Committee (AIAC) and meets twice a year. Several project groups have been set up to tackle specific issues. AFAG members come from the industry, HSE and the Trade Unions.
Advice on tree work is produced by the Arboriculture and Forestry Advisory Group (AFAG) and published by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).