- People lose skills if they do not use them regularly.
- Most drivers and operators need regular training to keep their skills up to date.
- Employers should offer workers refresher training whenever appropriate.
Why offer refresher training?
Even if drivers operate vehicles every day, we recommend regular refresher training to make sure that they:
- maintain good driving habits;
- learn new skills where appropriate; and
- reassess their abilities.
Workers may need refresher training if:
- you change the vehicles they use;
- you move sites;
- you change the way they work; or
- they become disabled
When to train
You should consider a gap between training and refresher training of between three to five years, depending on the risks. Some companies provide refresher training more often than this.
Training records will help you keep track of each worker's training
- An example of an employee training record [PDF 8KB]