Vehicles at work continue to be a major cause of fatal and major injuries. Every year there are over 5000 incidents involving transport in the workplace. About 50 of these result in people being killed. Estimates suggest that up to one-third of all road traffic accidents involve someone who is at work at the time.
What to do first?
To manage the risks from workplace transport effectively, you need to consider three key areas:
- Safe site
- Safe vehicle
- Safe driver
Look at the relevant sections of the Workplace Transport website for more information. HSE has also produced publications to help you decide what you need to do:
- Download our free leaflet Workplace transport safety - An overview - INDG199 (rev 1)
- Have a look at Workplace transport safety - An employer's guide - HSG136 HSE Books 2005 ISBN 0 7176 6154 7
- Also look at the site inspection checklist Site Inspection Checklist (Web only)
Some Dos and Don'ts
- Keep people and vehicles apart
- Have clear site rules and enforce them
- Anchor loads securely to the vehicle chassis
- Avoid the need to work at height on vehicles
- Operate vehicles unless you are authorised to do so