Safety culture and workplace transport
Illustrated case studies
Safety signs (pictorial)
Comprehensive statistics for workplace transport revitalising programme 2007/08
Publications by other organisations
- Transport Safety - An Operator's Guide to Safe Loading and Transport
- British Frozen Food Federation (BFFF) guidance on the selection of appropriate work equipment for work at height activities within a cold store environment (supplements HSE guidance PM28)
- Transport Industry Guidelines for Eliminating and Mitigating Risk of Falls from Height. The Building Products Delivery Working Group (BPDWG) is a committee of manufacturers, logistics and transport companies, and regulators. It has examined ways of eliminating or reducing the risks from working at heights associated with the use of load security techniques for the delivery of building products. The findings of that study are reported in Transport Industry Guidelines for Eliminating and Mitigating Risk of Falls from Height, which illustrates the equipment and methods available and offers an indication as to their suitability. The guidance is intended to assist in deciding what equipment and methods may best suit a company's needs as part of a suitable assessment of risks to health and safety and taking into account the environment in which the equipment is to be used.
- 'Coupling and Uncoupling & Parking of Large Goods Vehicle Trailers - Guidance for managers, supervisors and trainers', is available to download from the SOE website.
- Designing for Deliveries Freight Transport Association 1998 ISBN 0 9029 9166 3 Available from The FTA, Hermes House, St John's Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN4 9UZ. Tel 01892 526 171
- The Highway Code Driving Standards Agency The Stationery Office 2004 ISBN 0 11 552698 6
- The Safety of Loads on Vehicles: Code of Practice Department for Transport
- At A Glance Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
- Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers Code for Lighting Butterworth Heinemann 2002 ISBN 0 750 656379
- Worksafe Western Australia Commission Safe Movement of Workplace Transport (WSWA Ref: 0065) Government of Western Australia 2001 ISBN 0 7307 6118 5 (free)
- Guidance issued by members of the Tanker Group of the Road Haulage Association Ltd and the Health and Safety Executive
- BS 7669-3:1994 Vehicle restraint systems. Guide to the installation, inspection and repair of safety fences British Standards Institution ISBN 0 580 22178 4
- BS 6180:1999 Barriers in and about buildings. Code of practice British Standards Institution ISBN 0 580 33051 6
- BS 873-1:1983 Road traffic signs and internally illuminated bollards. Methods of test British Standards Institution ISBN 0 580 130495
- BS 6736: 1986 Code of practice for hand signalling for use in agricultural operations British Standards Institution ISBN 0 580 15396 7
Best practice guidelines on cargo securing and abnormal loads (EU guidelines)
As a practical step towards more road safety and transport efficiency throughout the European Union, the Directorate-General for Energy and Transport asked experts from Member States and Industry to develop guidelines reflecting best practice on cargo securing and abnormal transports.
HSE priced and free publications are available by mail order from HSE Books, TSO Customer Services, PO Box 29, Norwich, NR3 1GN. Tel: +44 (0)333 202 5070. HSE priced publications are also available from bookshops and free leaflets can be downloaded from HSE website.