How to get a biocidal product on the UK market
Important deadlines: Brexit implications for businesses
To get or maintain access to the GB market you should check what you need to do >
If you want to import or make a biocidal product available on the UK market, the product must comply with:
- GB Biocidal Products Regulation (GB BPR) in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales)
- EU Biocidal Products Regulation (EU BPR) in Northern Ireland
There are also general chemical and product safety regulations that apply to biocidal products.
Making available on the market means any supply of a biocidal product, whether in return for payment or free of charge, at all stages of the supply chain. Some examples of this could include:
- manufacturer to distributor
- distributor to retail store
- retail store to user
What you need to do
Check your product is regulated as a biocidal product
Confirm that your product:
- meets the legal definition of a biocidal product
- is regulated by GB BPR or EU BPR
Check active substance status
The status of the active substance in your product will determine what you need to do to place your product on the market.
Check your active substance supplier
The biocidal product cannot be made available on the UK market if your active substance supplier is not on the relevant Article 95 list for your product type.
If your supplier is not on the relevant list you will need to either:
- change to a supplier that is on the list
- apply to get on the list yourself