Delivering the Solution Together: Industry Summit Event – 7 February 2013, Solihull
Around 150 invited senior figures from across the waste and recycling industry assembled in Solihull on Thursday 7 February 2013 for a summit aimed at improving its poor health and safety record.
The event organised by the Health and Safety Executive and the Waste Industry Safety and Health (WISH) Forum sought commitment and ideas for actions that would help bring about change.
Event agenda and associated presentations
- Welcome and Introductions – David Palmer-Jones, Chair of Environmental Services Association and CEO of SITA UK
- Keynote address – Judith Hackitt (CBE) Chair of Health and Safety Executive
- Learning from London 2012 – Lawrence Waterman (OBE), Head of Health and Safety at the Olympic Delivery Authority
- Trade Unions and employers: working together – Mike Short, Senior National Officer for Health and Safety, UNISON
- WISHful thinking – Christopher Jones, Chair of Waste Industry Safety and Health (WISH) Forum and Compliance Director, Cory Environmental
- Introduction to strategy workshops – John Skidmore, President Chartered Institution of Wastes Management and Director of Environment, East Riding Council
- Leadership – Ian Goodfellow, Managing Director of Shanks plc
- Competence – Simon Catford, Board member of EU Skills and Corporate Responsibility Director for Viridor
- Worker Involvement – Steve Sumner (OBE), Chair of IOSH Public Services Group and Director of Steve Sumner Associates
- Creating healthier, safer workplaces – Richard Murray, Safety, Health and Environment Manager of May Gurney
- Customising support for SMEs – Susan Relf, Compliance Director Agrivert Ltd
- Feedback from workshops and open panel discussion
- Concluding remarks and close – Heather Bryant, Director of HSE Southern Division and Waste Management & Recycling Industry Strategy lead
After the event
A Blueprint for addressing the challenges and incorporating actions identified in the workshops has been produced by the WISH Forum.