Enforcing authorities at port and dock premises

Within ports, there are a number of different enforcement authorities involved depending on the type of work being carried out. Below is a list of the different agencies with a brief explanation of the areas they cover along with a link to their websites.

Health and Safety Executive

HSE is responsible for regulating work activities carried out by shore-based workers eg stevedores both on port premises and on-board ship..

Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA)

MCA is responsible for shipboard activities carried out by ships' crew, marine/maritime safety and ship/navigational safety.

Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB)

The MAIB investigates all types of marine accidents to or on board UK ships worldwide and other ships in UK territorial waters.

The roles of the HSE, MCA and MAIB are explained more fully in the Memorandum of Understanding between the agencies:

Local authority Environmental Health Inspectors

They are generally responsible for work activities in warehouses, shops, catering facilities and offices not on dock premises; leisure activities on or adjacent to inland navigations; and complaints regarding nuisance

Environment Agency

They are responsible for railways on dock premises.

Office of the Rail Regulator (ORR)

They are responsible for railways on dock premises.

Is this page useful?

Updated 2022-07-07