Container design and manufacture approval
The document below sets out the details of the arrangements that operate in Great Britain for the approval of container design and manufacture in accordance with the requirements of the Freight Containers (Safety Convention) Regulations 1984:
- It explains that, under these arrangements, HSE will authorise suitable organisations to carry out the functions of approving containers and lay down the conditions that organisations will be expected to meet before being considered eligible for appointment
- It give details of the method by which manufacturers and owners of containers may make application for the approval of containers and the procedure to be adopted by the authorised organisations in considering such applications
Those needing to have their containers approved should approach one of the appointed organisations listed below directly.
Companies appointed to approve containers
Container manufacturers must gain approval either for the design type or for individual containers. Approval is given by companies appointed by HSE or alternatively by IMO signatory Governments that have ratified, accepted, approved or acceded to the convention.
For manufacturers and owners who wish to apply for approval, the companies currently appointed to approve containers in Great Britain are:
- Lloyd's Register Verification Limited, 71 Fenchurch Street, London EC3M 4BS, Tel : +44 (0)207 423 2428
- Det Norske Veritas Ltd, Cromarty House, 67–72 Regent Quay, Aberdeen, AB11 5AR. Tel: 01224 335 000
- Det Norske Technical Ltd, Palace House, 3 Cathedral Street, London, SE1 9DE. Tel: 020 7357 6080
- Bureau Veritas UK Ltd, Parklands, 825a Wilmslow Road, Didsbury, Manchester, M20 8RE, Tel: 0161 446 4600
- Zurich Risk Services, 126 Hagley Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 9PF, Tel: +44 (0)121 456 1311