Will you wake up? - Guidance for students using gas appliances in rented accommodation

Every year people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.

If you are living in rented accommodation, your landlord has to have any gas appliance that they own regularly maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer and issue you with a copy of the gas safety record following the annual gas safety check. Notify HSE if your landlord does not, on request, provide you with a copy of the record.

From 1st October 2022 the law changed in England and all relevant landlords must provide a carbon monoxide alarm in any room used as living accommodation which contains a fixed combustion appliance (excluding gas cookers). These regulations do not apply to student halls of residence. For more information visit the FAQ section of the explanatory booklet published by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities. For information on the requirements in Scotland please visit Carbon monoxide alarms in private rented properties: guidance - gov.scot (www.gov.scot) For guidance in Wales Housing | Topic | GOV.WALES.

'Will you wake up?' is the HSE campaign aimed at making you, your parents and your landlord aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide. Download the poster and leaflets and tell your housemates so you all stay safe.

Is this page useful?