Tell us whether you accept cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We also use cookies to collect information about how you use so we can improve our services.

Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.

Gas safety check - who can do it?

All checks must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

I used to be a gas fitter - can I do the check myself?

No, the checks must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer . We advise that you check that the Gas Safe registered engineer is competent to work in that specific area of gas. This is clearly marked on the back of the engineer’s Gas Safe Register registration card. Or you can check that the engineer or the business is on the Gas Safe Register website.

For more information see Regulation (36)(4) of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998

Can I use a non-registered engineer to fit an appliance and have it checked by the Gas Safe registered engineer?

No, a Gas Safe registered engineer must fit and check a gas appliance. It is not acceptable for a Gas Safe registered engineer to knowingly ‘sign-off’ gas work that has been carried out by a person who is not registered. Where this occurs, both the registered and unregistered installer may face prosecution.

Can I use a plumber to install the appliance and then have the gas work fitted by a Gas Safe registered engineer?

A non-registered person may carry out ‘wet work’, ie install water pipes and radiators for a heating system, but any work on the gas boiler itself and the final connection of the water pipework to the boiler, must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Further information