Preparing the case
1. This section provides guidance on the principles that you must take into account when drafting an Information in order to ensure that it is legally correct and provides sufficient details of the offence for which the defendant is to be summoned.
2. It also provides general guidance on how to select the most suitable charge.
3. The Principles that govern disclosure of information to the public may also be relevant at this stage. Therefore it may be prudent at the time you are preparing the case to consider:
- whether you should seek publicity for the case; and
- what publicity may come directly from the press once the case is underway.
See the section on Reporting and Publicising Proceedings