Improvement and prohibition notices
1. This section deals with your power to issue improvement and prohibition notices under sections 21,22 and 23 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
2. The Enforcement Management Model (EMM) provides a framework to help inspectors decide whether a notice is a proportionate and effective response.
3. There are administrative procedures for the service of notices by some inspectors in certain circumstances and you should consult with your line manager if you are uncertain what these are.
4. It is also important to remember that the facts which give rise to a notice may also lead to a prosecution and that evidence should be treated accordingly.
5. You must remember to note your reasons for all enforcement decisions in a durable and retrievable form, ideally your notebook. The EMM decision form is used for some staff to record these decisions.