HSE works in partnership with local authorities and the police in administering and enforcing the law on explosives. This page gives HSE contact details, as well as a list of other useful contacts.

HSE's Explosives Inspectorate

HSE's Explosives Inspectorate is the operational team that licence manufacturing and larger storage sites as well as enforcing the legislation for these sites and for the classification and transport of explosives.

The Explosives Inspectorate can be contacted at:

Health and Safety Executive
Explosives Inspectorate
Redgrave Court
Merton Road
L20 7HS

Out of hours

5pm to 8.30am - in case of emergency ring Duty Officer: 0151 922 9235


HSE is not an emergency service and you should always consult the relevant regulations, explosives web pages or your dangerous goods safety advisor before contacting us.

For queries relating to existing classification applications or transport or transfer of explosives including recipient competent authority documents (RCAs) or intra community transfers (ICTs) use the email address:

For queries relating to licensing applications use the email address: 

For any other queries use the email address:

If you find explosives then you should contact your local explosive liaison officer.  

HSE's Explosives Policy Team

HSE's Explosives Policy Team is responsible for developing, updating and advising on legislation. It can be contacted at:

Health and Safety Executive
Explosives Policy
Redgrave Court
Merton Road
Merseyside L20 7HS
[email protected]


Please contact your local Police Force explosives and firearms department.

Local authorities

If you live in the metropolitan counties, ie West Midlands, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Tyne and Wear, or South and West Yorkshire, the local licensing authority is the fire and rescue service.

In other areas you will normally need to contact the trading standards department of your local authority.

Is this page useful?

Updated 2023-04-06