Other pages on the HSE website:
- Slips and trips
- Shattered Lives - Health and social care
- Reducing slips and trips in the health service
- Slips and Trips eLearning Package (STEP) is an easy way to learn about slips and trips; how they are caused; why preventing them is important; and how to tackle them. STEP includes quizzes, videos, animations, case studies and interactive sequences to enhance the learning experience. This package has a course specifically designed for the healthcare sector
- Slips Assessment Tool (SAT) is a free downloadable software package that allows an operator to assess the slip potential of surfaces
- Research report RR889 - Investigation of slip resistance and the hygienic cleaning of floors in hospital settings
Some health and social care providers are concerned that smooth floors are required to enable hygienic cleaning to reduce the risk of infection. Many providers make extensive use of smooth vinyl, which can lead to an increased risk of slip and trip accidents. This research was commissioned by HSE to explore whether slip resistant flooring installed in hospitals can be cleaned hygienically using standard cleaning practices.
- Cleaning activities and slip and trip accidents in NHS Acute Trusts - a scoping study - HSL/2006/80
The study aimed to identify whether different staff were aware of the impact of cleaning on slips and trips accidents; the factors that impact on the number of accidents; how cleaning procedures, techniques and materials are specified and monitored; and, Interventions that could reduce the number of accidents in hospitals.
- Slips and trips: The importance of floor cleaning - HSE Information Sheet ST2
- Preventing Slips and Trips at Work - HSE INDG225
- Preventing slips and trips in kitchens and food service - HSE CAIS6
- Assessment and prevention of falls in older people - NICE guidance
- Living Made Easy
- Falls on Stairs - Literature Review - HSL Report