Tell us whether you accept cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We also use cookies to collect information about how you use so we can improve our services.

Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.

RIDDOR in health and social care

RIDDOR is the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013. These Regulations require employers, the self-employed and those in control of premises to report specified workplace incidents. This guidance will help clarify how RIDDOR applies to the health and social care sector and whether certain types of incident are reportable.

RIDDOR will continue to apply even where other regulators (such as the Care Quality Commission) have the lead role in investigation.  HSE will pass on reported information about patient or service user incidents to other regulators where appropriate.

For general guidance on the requirements of RIDDOR, such as, who should report, how to report and when to report, please visit the HSE RIDDOR website.

Is my incident reportable?

There is often uncertainty about whether an incident is reportable, particularly when it involves members of the public (eg patients in a hospital or residents in a care home), or when an employee receives a sharps injury or suffers from work-related stress.

To help provide clarity on this issue, HSE has produced the Health Services Information Sheet HSIS1(rev3), Reporting injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences in health and social care: Guidance for employers. The information sheet provides clear guidance on how RIDDOR applies to the health and social care sector and gives a number of examples to help you decide whether an incident is reportable or not.

The latest revision HSIS1(rev3) provides updated guidance following the introduction of new RIDDOR 2013 Regulations on 1 October 2013. 

It is estimated that around one third of RIDDOR reports in health and social care are incorrectly recorded. For specific guidance on how to record incidents in health and social care using HSE’s online reporting system, please visit our web page, how to code health and social care RIDDOR reports.

Updated 2019-07-23