Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.

Research & Development

A lot of research and development is conducted using quantities of less than 1 tonne per year and manufacture or import at this level does not attract a duty to register under UK REACH. However, sometimes larger quantities of material are required; for example, in drug development work, to scale-up a production process, or to develop the production of an article.

Where substances are used above one tonne a year for Product and Process Orientated Research and Development (PPORD) purposes the manufacturer or importer can apply for an exemption from the obligation to register for a period of up to five years. To benefit from this exemption, a PPORD notification must be submitted to the UK Chemicals Agency.

If before the UK left the EU your company had a PPORD in place, then this will be carried over and the same conditions and exemption period will apply. To continue to benefit form an existing PPORD the holder will need to submit information to the UK Chemicals Agency. For more details see Recognising your EU REACH PPORD (Product and Process Orientated Research and Development exemption) under UK REACH

Updated 2019-10-15