UK REACH exemption for the purposes of Product and Process Orientated Research and Development (PPORD)
GB companies that are manufacturing or importing substances in quantities of 1 tonne or more per year for the purposes of process-oriented research and development (PPORD) can submit a PPORD dossier in order to be exempted from the obligation to register for a period of five years.
The system for PPORDs under UK REACH is analogous to that under EU REACH. In the PPORD notification, companies should include:
- information on the substance identity,
- its classification,
- information related to the PPORD programme, and
- the quantity of the substance expected to be manufactured or imported during the period of exemption.
The Agency will assess the PPORD notification and may impose conditions. The manufacturer or importer of the substance has to comply with the imposed conditions and must inform relevant customers involved in the PPORD.
Submitting your PPORD Notification
Preparing and uploading PPORD Notification dossier to the UK REACH IT Service (Comply with UK REACH)
- Open an account on the new UK REACH IT system Comply with UK REACH
- Prepare your IUCLID dossier. Follow the guidance on how to do this in the ECHA Manual How to prepare registration and PPORD dossiers
- Submit your IUCLID dossier on Comply with UK REACH
- Once the application has been assessed as complete and the fee has been paid you will be issued with a PPORD number
- Unless informed otherwise by the Agency, the applicant should wait two weeks before manufacturing or importing the substance at 1 tonne or more
Fees and Charges
You will be charged a fee to make a PPORD notification. Please see information on UK REACH Fees and Charges.