Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.

Complaints - Stage 2: Assess complaint using risk filter (FOD)

Step 2.1

For: Band 5 Complaints Handling Officer

Applying risk filter

Before applying risk filter

After applying risk filter

For FMU B2


For guidance on this please see:

Where the complaint is classified as green, the complainant is dissatisfied and new information is received:

Performance standards

  • Decide whether HSE is the enforcing authority and take the appropriate action:within one working day of receipt, or immediately, where there is an obvious risk of serious personal injury.
  • Apply the risk based filter within one working day of receipt
  • For green complaints where the complainant requested feedback  inform them that HSE will take no further action and why, within 10 working days.
  • Email details of red and amber Matters of Concern to the relevant FMU Band 2 immediately, or within 24 hours, of the complaint being received.
  • If details of a matter of concern which has been classified red or amber, and where the dutyholder is not known, are forwarded to the Band 2, the Band 2 should¬† inform the complaints team of whether any subsequent action has been taken by the FMU or not.

Back to top

Step 2.2

Referring technical queries to an inspector

For the B5 Complaints Handling officer

The inspector should:

Back to top

Step 2.3

Referring exceptional complaints to Band 2 inspector

Refer the assessed complaint to a Band 2 for a decision on investigation or follow up if:

Performance standard

Ensure the Band 2 is made aware of the complaint:

  • immediately or at the latest within 24 hours of receipt

Go to stage 3 : Follow up complaint

Back to top

Updated 2020-08-04