People moving into the travelling or working area of mobile machines can be seriously injured.
Types of machinery
- Large harvesting machines such as combines, pea viners and beet harvesters
- Process areas such as potato cleaners, integrated bale wrappers and grain hoppers
- Failing to check the area is clear before moving off or starting up
- Removing guards and covers to see process area
- Ensure the shape of the machine and control position give the operator the maximum are of direct visibility over the work and travelling area.
- Include provision for working lights.
- Provide indirect means of vision if necessary, eg mirrors, CCTV.
- Ensure windscreen wipers are fitted.
- Provide viewing panels in tanks and hoppers for level checking.
Operator instructions and training
Instructions for using this type of machinery must include clear guidance on:
- The fitting, setting and maintenance of visibility aids
- Areas of residual risk where visibility is reduced and it is impractical to fit additional visibility aids.