Machinery - use it safely
Machinery accidents are caused by a range of factors including:
- using a machine that is unsuitable for the task
- failing to follow a safe system of work
- unsafe methods for clearing blockages or making adjustments
Many agricultural machines have potentially dangerous moving parts, which can cause serious or fatal injuries.
Power take-off shafts
A tractor's power take-off (PTO) and the power take-off drive shaft of a machine are very dangerous if used and not correctly guarded.
Before using a machine, check that guards are fitted, and make sure they are:
- strong enough and securely attached to the machine
- not easily defeated, for example, require a tool to open, and are self-locking
- made of the right material. Plastic allows good visibility but may be easily damaged