Machinery - use it safely
Machinery accidents are caused by a range of factors including:
- using a machine that is unsuitable for the task;
- failing to follow a safe system of work;
- unsafe methods for clearing blockages or making adjustments;
Many agricultural machines have potentially dangerous moving parts, which can cause serious or fatal injuries. For example:
- Big round balers
- Combine harvesters
- Potato harvesters
- Forage harvesters
- Rotary flail hedge cutters
- Agricultural mowers
Power take-off shafts
A tractor’s power take-off (PTO) and the power take-off drive shaft of a machine are very dangerous if used and not correctly guarded.
Most of these accidents are preventable if the PTO and PTO drive shaft are fitted with guards of good design which are properly used and maintained.
Many agricultural machines have potentially dangerous moving parts, which can cause serious or fatal injuries. Always follow Safe Stop before removing any guards.
Before using a machine, check that guards are fitted, and make sure they are:
- strong enough and securely attached to the machine;
- not easily defeated, for example, require a tool to open, and are self-locking;
- made of the right material. Plastic allows good visibility but may be easily damaged;