Maintenance – Vehicles and machinery
All equipment and plant should be maintained in good working order. Maintenance work can introduce new hazards and risks that need to be controlled so the work can be undertaken safely.
- Safe Stop
- Before you start maintenance work
- Dealing with blockages or other problems
- Isolating equipment
- Pressurised plant
Inspection & maintenance of work equipment
Follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedules for work equipment such as tractors and vehicles, lift trucks, ATVs (quad bikes), portable electrical equipment, and farm machinery.
Lifting operations & equipment
In agriculture, lifting equipment covers a wide range of equipment including
- Tractor foreloaders, fork-lift trucks and telescopic handlers (telehandlers)
- Workshop hoists and rope hoists;
- Cranes on machines (eg on lorries or fertiliser spreaders)
- Lifting attachments and accessories
Duting vehicle repair:
- make sure brakes are applied and wheels chocked;
- always prop raised bodies. Do not rely on hydraulic systems for support;
- start and run engines with brakes on and in neutral gear.
- you keep the workshop tidy and avoid tripping hazards such as trailing cables, tools etc.