Slips, trips & falls
Slips and trips on machinery can cause a worker to fall against a dangerous part or from a high platform
Types of machinery
- Vegetable harvesting and grading equipment – operator work platforms
- Combines and other self-propelled machines – access to cabs and maintenance areas.
- Inattention during access or egress from work platforms or cabs.
- Attempting to mount a moving vehicle.
- Carrying out cleaning and maintenance without proper access equipment.
- Ensure as much work as possible can be done from ground level, e.g. low level lubrication points.
- Provide adequate steps and handholds for work platforms and maintenance.
- Ensure platforms and work areas have suitable guard rails.
- Use non slip materials for floor areas and steps.
- Locate access points outside or behind travelling wheels.
- Provide storage for any additional steps or ladders needed to carry out routine maintenance.
Operator instructions and training
Instructions for using this type of machinery must include clear guidance on:
- The need to keep access steps and guard rails in good condition and clear of debris
- How to store and use any additional access equipment.