Short-term effects such as burns and long-term effects such as genetic damage are possible from exposure to a variety of radiation sources
Types of machinery
- Combine radioactive yield monitors
- Laser levelling on drainage equipment
- Electromagnetic fields from radio transmitters and electrical equipment
- Failure to isolate sources when carrying maintenance
- Removal of safety devices
- Ensure emissions are the lowest possible for the functioning of the machine.
- Ensure electromagnetic emissions cannot affect the machine or other equipment
- Provide tamper-proof radiation sources.
- Ensure sources are properly guarded or screened.
Operator instructions and training
Instructions for using this type of machinery must include clear guidance on:
- Safe systems of work for the use, setting and maintenance of the radiation source
- Instructions for the registration, control and disposal of radioactive material.
Find out more
- Work with ionising radiation – Approved code of practice and guidance
- BS EN ISO 14982 – Agricultural and forestry machinery – Electromagnetic compatibility – Test methods and acceptance criteria
- Directive 2004/108/EC – Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)