Slips and trips in the printing industry
What you need to know
Slips and trips are the second highest accident type in printing. Most accidents occur in production areas followed by outdoor areas, car parks and stairways.
Common causes of accidents include
- Poor housekeeping;
- Poor maintenance; and
- Inclement weather.
What you need to do
Reduce tripping hazards such as pallets, uneven ground and strapping;
- Keep walkways well marked and clear of pallets and other obstructions
- Identify specific places for pallet unloading/loading
- Provide suitable bins for disposal of strapping, wrapping, paper
- Designate storage areas for equipment such as trolleys and lift trucks
- Avoid trailing cables, provide cable covers for temporary arrangements
- Repair potholes in floor surfaces
You can reduce slipping hazards such as water and wetness, oil and ice by
- Prevent oil leaks by maintaining equipment
- Clean up spillages of all liquids immediately, dry the area and provide signage
Find out more
The HSE free leaflet Preventing Slips and Trips at Work provides further information which employers should consider when making an assessment of slipping and tripping risks
You can find more detailed guidance about preventing slips and trips on our slips and trips website.