Health and Safety - Frequently asked questions
This page provides answers to HSE's commonly asked questions about health and safety.
- Are turban-wearing Sikhs exempt from the need to wear head protection in the workplace?
- What is the maximum/minimum temperature in the workplace?
- What breaks am I allowed under the working time regulations?
- Control of asbestos regulations
- When does CDM (Construction, Design and Management Regulations) apply to a project?
- Portable appliance tests - information on PAT
Other general health and safety regulations and advice
- Pregnant workers and risk assessment
- How much space am I entitled to at work?
- How do I report an accident?
- How many first aiders do I require?
- Smoking - Advice on smoking at work?
- Lone working - Can a person be left alone at their workplace?
- WC Facilities - How many toilets should a workplace have?
- Health and Safety law poster - What details do you need to put on the new Health and Safety law poster?
- Five step risk assessment - How do I carry out a risk assessment?
- What are the health risks from asbestos?
- Vibration - Are the new regulations in force yet?
- Work at height regulations
- PPE - Do employers have to provide personal protective equipment?
- Policy - Information on compiling health & safety policy
- Disabled Access - What responsibility employers have for access to buildings?
- Charities - Does health & safety legislation apply to volunteers working for charities?
- The Working Time Regulations