Is HSE the correct enforcing authority for you?

This page lists the type of workplaces HSE is responsible for and those where Local Authorities have responsibility. It also lists some other enforcing authorities (eg for food, environment and railways) you may find useful.

HSE's responsibilities

HSE is responsible for enforcing health and safety at workplaces including:

  • factories
  • farms
  • building sites
  • mines
  • schools and colleges
  • fairgrounds
  • gas, electricity and water systems
  • hospitals and nursing homes
  • central and local government premises
  • offshore installations

Local authorities

You should contact your local authority environmental health department if you have a query about the following type of premises:

  • offices (except government offices)
  • shops
  • hotels
  • restaurants
  • leisure premises
  • nurseries and playgroups
  • pubs and clubs
  • museums (privately owned)
  • places of worship
  • sheltered accommodation and care homes

Other enforcing authorities

You may find this list of enforcing authorities and contact details useful.

Concern Enforcing body
Nuclear installations Office for Nuclear Regulation
Poor food hygiene Environmental Health Department (Local Authority) Directgov
Pollution, including nuisance noise Environmental Health (Local Authority) Directgov
Problems with goods and services you have bought Trading Standards (Local Authority) Directgov
Road, highways and pavements Highways Department (Local Authority) Directgov
Unstable/dangerous buildings Building Control (Local Authority) Directgov
Road traffic issues Police
Roadworthiness of vehicles Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency
Railway health and safety Office of Rail and Road (ORR)
Waste disposal, contaminated ground, some air pollution issues Environment Agency
Care of patients and users of health and social care services in England Care Quality Commission
Care of patients in health services in Scotland Healthcare Improvement Scotland
Care of patients in health services in Wales Healthcare Inspectorate Wales
Care of users of social care services in Scotland Social Care and Social Work Improvement Scotland
Care of users of social care services in Wales Care Inspectorate Wales
Repairs of council owned property Housing Ombudsman Service
Conditions for and treatment of those in prison Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Prisons
Concerns about patient safety – Doctors General Medical Council
Concerns about patient safety – Nurses & Midwives Nursing and Midwifery Council
Welfare facilities at schools Department of Education
Occupational health and safety of flight crew and cabin crew on aircraft and health of passengers on aircraft Civil Aviation Authority
Concerns about marine safety including certification, pollution and health, safety & welfare of seafarers Maritime and Coastguard Agency

Is this page useful?

Updated: 2022-08-10