Radiation Protection Advisers
- HSE Statement on radiation protection advisers
- List of assessing bodies recognised for the certification of individual radiation protection advisers (RPAs) under IRR17
- List of RPA bodies recognised by HSE under IRR17
Radiation employers will need to consult a suitable RPA for advice on complying with the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17). IRR17 specifies particular matters on which radiation employers should seek advice from a suitable RPA. The Approved Code of Practice in support of IRR17 gives further guidance on this topic. Radiation employers need to check that the RPA selected meets the criteria of competence in the HSE Statement on radiation protection advisers and has the relevant experience to make them suitable to provide the advice needed.
If an individual wishes to act as a RPA they must either:
- hold a valid certificate of competence from an organisation recognised by HSE as an Assessing Body for the certification of individual RPAs; or
- hold a National or Scottish Vocational Qualification (N/SVQ) level 4 in Radiation Protection Practice issued within the last five years.
Guidance on the criteria of competence for RPA bodies and work sheet for applications
HSE has issued 'Guidance on the criteria of competence for RPA bodies and work sheet for applications' to clarify the criteria of competence for RPA bodies which are laid down in Annex 1, Part II of the HSE Statement on radiation protection advisers. This guidance will help future applicants by showing them how HSE will interpret the criteria of competence for RPA bodies in the HSE Statement, when judging their applications.
Applicants seeking recognition as RPA bodies are advised to use this guidance as a covering proforma when submitting their applications. By doing this, applicants will be able to demonstrate how the evidence in their application meets each criterion. In addition, HSE will be able to readily identify what evidence is being submitted under each criterion, thus streamlining the application process for both applicants and HSE.
Guidance on the requirements for RPA assessing bodies
The requirements for RPA assessing bodies are laid down in Annex 2 of the HSE Statement on radiation protection advisers.
For enquiries and applications for Approval of Dosimetry Services, RPA Body recognition or RPA Assessing Body recognition, please write to:
Radiation Operations Administration
HSE, Redgrave Court 1.3
Merton Road, Bootle