2. Managing risk using PPE
As part of your risk assessment you should decide whether PPE is needed. Use the hierarchy of controls to make this decision.
Hierarchy of controls
PPE should be the last resort to protect against risks. Consider controls in the following order, with elimination being the most effective and PPE being the least effective:
- Elimination – physically remove the hazard
- Substitution – replace the hazard
- Engineering controls – isolate people from the hazard
- Administrative controls – change the way people work
- PPE – protect the worker with equipment
You must select equipment carefully. Make sure all workers are trained to use it properly and know how to detect and report any faults.