HELA structure and role
Role of HELA
HELA provides strategic oversight of the co-regulatory relationship between HSE and local authorities, with a view to maximising effectiveness, improving health and safety outcomes and ensuring delivery of the HSE strategy.
Structure of HELA
HELA meets at least twice a year and is chaired jointly by a senior representative of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the Chair of the Local Authority Health and Safety Practitioner Forum.
Membership is comprisesd of senior HSE officials concerned with policy development and operations and senior LA officers representing:
- Local Government Association (LGA) in England,
- Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA) in Scotland
- Welsh LGA (WLGA) in Wales.
- Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (REHIS)
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH)
A full listing of HELA members is contained within the Terms of Reference.