What you need to know if you are doing or having construction and building work carried out
- Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015
- Does this affect me?
- What work is notifiable?
- Summary of duties under CDM 2015
- Further information
Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015
If you are doing or having construction and building work carried out, you will have health and safety responsibilities to consider before starting work.
- Clients, designers, contractors and others involved with construction work all have duties under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM 2015)
- Under CDM 2015, certain construction work must be notified to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
Does this affect me?
If you are having construction work done on your own home, or on the home of a family member that is not done in connection with a business you are a domestic client. CDM 2015 applies to all construction work including domestic projects. As a domestic client your duties under CDM 2015 are passed on to others who are carrying out the construction work on your behalf (such as designers and contractors). Those carrying out the work will also have duties of their own.
If you are having construction work done as part of a trade or business e.g. as a landlord or developer, the work may be notifiable and you will have duties as a commercial client under CDM 2015.
What work is notifiable?
Construction work is notifiable to the HSE if the construction work on a construction site is expected to:
- last more than 30 days and have more than 20 workers working at the same time at any point on the project or
- exceed 500 person days of construction work
Summary of duties under CDM 2015
- Free leaflet: Need building work done? A short guide for clients on the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (INDG411)
- CDM 2015 Frequently asked questions
- General construction health and safety information
- Free construction industry guidance on CDM 2015
- Managing health and safety in construction - L153
- A quick guide for clients on CDM 2015 - INDG411
- Construction Phase Plan (CDM 2015) - CIS80
- Notification of construction project (F10)