This page provides you with basic information about what you must do to make sure your cleaning business complies with health and safety law.
What you must do
Health and safety law applies to all businesses, no matter how small. As an employer, or a self-employed person, you are responsible for health and safety in your business. You need to take the right precautions to reduce the risks of workplace dangers and provide a safe working environment.
What you should know
Health and safety doesn't have to be complicated. Information on HSE's Health and safety made simple site will make it easier for you to comply with the law and manage health and safety in your business.
For many businesses, all that's required is a basic series of tasks. The site will take you through the steps and help you to make sure you have done what you need to.
Information on the following can be found at Health and safety made simple.
- Decide who will help with your duties
- Write a health and safety policy for your business
- Manage the risks in your business
- Consult your employees
- Provide training and information
- Provide the right workplace facilities
- Display the health and safety Law poster
- Get insurance for your business
For some work in the cleaning industry there may be specific risks or activities you need to consider to make sure you are complying with the law.