Guarding (general advice)
Before using a machine, check that guards are fitted, and make sure they are:
- strong enough and securely attached to the machine;
- not easily defeated, for example, require a tool to open, and are self-locking;
- made of the right material. Plastic allows good visibility but may be easily damaged;
- regularly checked and maintained in effective working order.
If guards are interlocked, for example if you need access several times each day to a dangerous part, check that:
- the machine cannot start before the guard is in position;
- opening the guard stops the machine or that part;
the interlocking switch or valve is sufficiently robust for the job, and the way it works makes it difficult for someone to defeat.
Remember: Don’t forget to follow Safe Stop before removing any guards