Main causes of injury in the surface engineering industry
- Manual handling – eg through lifting/carrying heavy and/or awkward objects and account for 1/3 of all 3-day injuries.
- Struck by – eg falling objects; moving vehicles. Manual handling assessment charts (the MAC tool)
- Slips and trips - eg on uneven floors or due to poor housekeeping; failure to promptly clear up spillages
- Contact with a harmful substance (which has also caused the greatest number of fatalities over the period)
- Falls from height – eg from ladder, elevated walkways.
- Contact with moving machinery - eg movement of jig transporters
Over the past 6 years these causes have accounted for over 85% of all reported injuries.
Case studies of typical injuries and ill-health