Main causes of injury in the surface engineering industry
- Manual handling – e.g. through lifting/carrying heavy and/or awkward objects and account for 1/3 of all 3-day injuries.
- Struck by – e.g. falling objects; moving vehicles. Manual handling assessment charts (the MAC tool)
- Slips and trips - e.g. on uneven floors or due to poor housekeeping; failure to promptly clear up spillages
- Contact with a harmful substance (which has also caused the greatest number of fatalities over the period)
- Falls from height – eg from ladder, elevated walkways.
- Contact with moving machinery - e.g. movement of jig transporters
Over the past 6 years these causes have accounted for over 85% of all reported injuries.