How to report under RIDDOR

Who should report

Reports should only be submitted by the ‘responsible person' with duties under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR).

Responsible people will be:

  • employers (in relation to workers)
  • some self-employed people
  • those in control of work premises when a reportable work-related accident or event has occurred

There is more information on who should report under RIDDOR.

Who should not report

You should not make a report if you are not the responsible person under RIDDOR. So you should not report if you are:

  • an injured person (unless you are self-employed)
  • a member of the public
  • others who do not have duties under RIDDOR

Raising a concern with HSE

If you are worker, acting on a worker’s behalf, or a member of the public, you can tell us about a work-related accident or an ongoing risk to health and safety in the workplace, by raising a concern with HSE.

Reporting online

If you are the responsible person, you should complete the appropriate online form.

The form will be submitted to the RIDDOR database. You will then have the option to download a copy for your records.

It is important that you read the relevant guidance before completing the form.

Relevant guidance

The forms

If you have problems accessing a form, this may be due to your security settings. A series of frequently asked questions will help you complete your online form.

Reporting an offshore incident

To report an offshore-related incident, use the Report of an Oil and Gas Incident (ROGI) form.

The form will allow you to report to the Offshore Major Accident Regulator (OMAR) under all relevant legislation for the offshore industry, including RIDDOR.

Reporting an incident at a nuclear site

To report an incident at a nuclear site you should contact the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR).

Reporting by phone

All incidents can be reported online but a phone service is also provided for reporting fatalities only.

You can call HSE on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm).

Reporting out of normal working hours

HSE and local authority enforcement officers are not an emergency service.

You can find more information on when and how to report work-related fatalities or serious incidents involving multiple casualties or major disruption on ways to contact HSE.

If you want to report less serious incidents out of normal working hours, you can complete an online form.

RIDDOR and the General Data Protection Regulations

As a notifier, you are acting as the responsible person under RIDDOR. This means you are:

  • under a legal obligation to make the notification
  • have a lawful basis for processing the personal data of the injured person (known as the data subject)

HSE processes this data as part of their public task. This is their legal justification for processing the data.

For further information see our Privacy Policy Statement.

Is this page useful?

Updated 2024-06-04