Commodity Substance: Potassium Hydrogen Carbonate
Food and Environment Protection Act 1985
Control of Pesticides Regulations 1986
Control of Pesticides Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1986
Date of issue: 5 August 2020
Date of expiry: 31 August 2021 (unless earlier decisions are made or further prescribed extensions are granted)
Notice is hereby given that in exercise of the powers conferred by Regulation 5 of the Control of Pesticides Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1510) (as amended) and of all other powers enabling them in that behalf, the Health and Safety Executive ("HSE") for and on behalf of the Secretary of State, the Welsh Ministers and the Scottish Ministers and the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs in Northern Ireland, have given full approval for the use of the following Commodity substance:
- 99.5% w/w Potassium Hydrogen Carbonate (Bicarbonate).
This Approval is Subject to the Following Conditions
Relevant Impurity Requirements:
- Pb max 10 mg/kg
- As max. 3 mg/kg
Field of use:
Only as a horticultural fungicide
Protected and outdoor crops
Maximum total dose (outdoor crops):
60 kg potassium bicarbonate/ha/annum
Maximum individual dose:
20 g potassium bicarbonate/litre
- Engineering control of operator exposure must be used where reasonably practicable in addition to the following personal protective equipment:
Operators must wear suitable protective clothing (coveralls), suitable protective gloves, face protection (faceshield), and suitable respiratory protection when handling the concentrate.
- However, engineering controls may replace personal protective equipment if a Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) assessment shows they provide an equal or higher standard of protection.
Other Specific Restrictions:
Food grade potassium bicarbonate must only be used.
- Crop phytotoxicity can occur.
- Approved adjuvants (see CRDs list of adjuvants approved for use in the UK and their conditions of use) may be used in conjunction with this commodity substance.