The main causes of injury are:
- Injured while handling, lifting or carrying
- Slipping, tripping or falling on the same level
- Hit by moving, flying or falling object
- Fall from a height
The main causes of occupational ill health are:
- Musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs)
- Skin disease, eg Dermatitis
- Respiratory disease, eg Occupational Asthma
Industry specific guidance
Contact with wet cement can cause both dermatitis and burns.
For further information about this and the measures to take to reduce the risks see Cement: HSE Information sheet CIS 26.
Strategy and targets
Cementing Good Practice started in 2003, linked to the 'Revitalising Health and Safety' targets, it aims to achieve a 30% improvement in injury rates every year to 2010 (which equates to a reduction of 92% from the 2003 baseline).