6. More guidance and support

If you work in the gig economy or do temporary work, you will also find further guidance in Health and safety for gig economy, agency and temporary workers.

In addition to health and safety protection at work, British law also gives workers basic rights such as limits on how long you have to work, time off, rest breaks and paid annual leave.

For general health and safety guidance translated into different languages, go to Publications in other languages

Organisations that support workers
Guidance Description
Border and Immigration Agency's requirements for settlement This website will help you understand the immigration system and what your rights and responsibilities are when you make an application
GOV.UK Access to and information from a wide range of government departments
Trades Union Congress (TUC) Represents people working in Britain - A guide to the rights you are entitled to at work
UK Income Tax Advice Government advice on tax if you come to live in the UK
Construction Skills Supporting the effective integration of migrant workers. Provides details on how Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) cards might be useful.
Citizens Advice Help and localised advice on living and working in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The local Citizens Advice centre may be able to put employers in contact with migrant community groups for help with translations, recruitment etc
Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority Regulates businesses that supply workers in the agriculture, horticulture, shellfish gathering and associated processing and packaging industries. If you have any concerns about the welfare of workers or a labour provider operating without a licence contact the GLAA (Tel: 0845 602 5020).

Is this page useful?

Updated 2023-09-07