These principles are intended to underpin the actions in this guidance and so lead to good health and safety performance.
Strong and active leadership from the top
- visible, active commitment from the board;
- establishing effective ‘downward’ communication systems and management structures;
- integration of good health and safety management with business decisions.
- engaging the workforce in the promotion and achievement of safe and healthy conditions;
- effective 'upward' communication;
- providing high quality training.
Assessment and review
- identifying and managing health and safety risks;
- accessing (and following) competent advice;
- monitoring, reporting and reviewing performance.
- Leading health and safety at work
- Leadership for the major hazard industries
- Successful health and safety management