Data Protection Act (DPA)

You have the right to find out if HSE is using or storing your personal data. This is called the right of access. You exercise this right by asking for a copy of the data, which is known as making a 'subject access request' (SAR).

What would be considered under DPA

You can make a SAR to find out what personal data we hold about you and how it is used. Requests for information which are not considered to be your personal data will be processed under an alternative and more appropriate disclosure gateway.

It's important you identify the specific data you want.  Please include:

How long will it take?

Requests handled under DPA should be responded to within 1 calendar month of receipt. In certain circumstances we may need extra time to consider your request (up to an extra two months). We will let you know within one month that we need more time and why.

What will it cost?

A copy of your personal data is normally provided free of charge. HSE may charge for additional copies of the information provided or if we believe the request is excessive. If so, we may ask for a reasonable fee for administrative costs or ask you to refine the request.

How do I make a request?

You can request information by email or post – how to make a request.

If you are not happy with our response

If you are unhappy with the decision made by HSE, you may ask for an internal review or make a complaint to the Information Commissioners.

Updated 2020-08-27