The Enforcement Management Model (EMM)
If one of our inspectors finds your business is breaking health and safety laws, they may take action. This could include:
- an improvement notice
- a prohibition notice
- a prosecution in some cases
An improvement notice, prohibition notice or prosecution are all ‘enforcement actions’. We have to be consistent in our approach to these. The Enforcement Management Model (EMM) is a guide that helps us to do this.
The EMM gives our inspectors guidance to help them decide:
- if they should take enforcement action
- what sort of enforcement action to take
The EMM is a guide. It’s not a strict set of rules that inspectors have to follow.
- What to expect when a health and safety inspector calls
- Regulation of health and safety at work
- Enforcement Policy Statement (EPS)
- Enforcement Management Model (EMM)