Our role as a regulator
As a regulator, we aim to prevent workplace death, injury or ill health.
What we do
We achieve this using a variety of methods to influence change and help people manage risks at work. These include:
- providing advice, information and guidance
- raising awareness in workplaces by influencing and engaging
- operating permissioning and licensing activities in major hazard industries
- carrying out targeted inspections and investigations
- taking enforcement action to prevent harm and hold those who break the law to account
What guides us
The fundamental principle of health and safety law is that those who create risks are best placed to control them. We take into account the impact on the economy, by ensuring any action we take is proportionate, targeted, consistent, transparent and accountable.
Working with other regulatorsWe work collaboratively with others in government to ensure that the most appropriate organisation intervenes.
- What to expect when a health and safety inspector calls
- Regulation of health and safety at work
- Enforcement Policy Statement (EPS)
- Enforcement Management Model (EMM)