A number of aspects of the E,C&I topics detailed within these web pages have been identified as both root causes and contributing factors to a number of major accidents, some where fatalities have occurred. Many of these have occurred within the UK during recent years.
A selection of these with supporting information is provided below:
- BP America Refinery Explosion – Texas City 23rd March 2005
- Texaco Refinery - Milford Haven - Explosion and Fires 24th July 1994
- Hickson and Welch Ltd Fire 22nd September 1992
- International Biosynthetics Ltd 7th December 1991
- BP Oil (Grangemouth) Refinery Ltd 22nd March 1987
- Seveso - Icmesa Chemical Company 9th July 1976
A number of other industrial case studies are available on the HSE COMAH web pages, many of which involved failures of both BPCS and SIS.