Resources and useful links
HSE and the Disability Rights Commission commissioned research to establish the nature and extent of the problem of health and safety requirements being used as a 'false excuse' for not employing or continuing to employ disabled people or people with an injury or ill-health condition. The research was prepared and published in 2003.
Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)
Equality Act Code of Practice on Employment contains information at chapter 5 on discrimination arising from disability and at chapter 6 on the duty to make reasonable adjustments.
There is also more general guidance for employers about their responsibilities under the Equality Act.
- Arbitration Conciliation and Advisory Service (ACAS) - provide advice on rights and responsibilities at work, including disability discrimination.
- British Association for Supported Employment (BASE) - is the national trade association representing hundreds of agencies involved in securing employment for people with disabilities.
- Business Disability Forum - is a not-for-profit member organisation that makes it easier and more rewarding to do business with and employ disabled people.
- Disability Action Alliance - A cross sector network of organisations committed to making a difference to the lives of disabled people by designing and delivering innovative changes and identifying and spreading good practice, especially at local level.
- Disability Rights UK - works to create a society where everyone with lived experience of disability or health conditions can participate as full citizens.
- Business Disability Forum - brings together business people, disabled opinion leaders and government to ensure that disabled people are treated fairly and can contribute to business success.
- Macmillan Cancer Support - provides support and information about work and cancer for people affected by cancer, and employers.